Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mary Worth 3

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and let the brilliance of Mary Worth speak for itself. (If the image is too small to read, click on it and you'll see a slightly larger version.) How can people not read this stuff religiously? It is the funniest strip in the paper. Actually, it isn't in my local paper any more. The Washington Post stopped printing it a few months ago. I was so upset I actually wrote to the paper. Did they have the courtesy to write me back? No. Mary would call that "Bad Form."

In this age of instant gratification (so well portrayed by Dr. Jeff's son, Drew), the lingering story lines and complex character development of Mary Worth are quickly passed up for the titilating sensationalism of Brewster Rocket and On the Fast Track. Sad really. But eventually we all need to savor the sweet serenity of Charterstone. It's as soothing as one of Mary's window-sill-cooled cherry pies.

No comments: