Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mary Worth 3361

I get to share some context on today's quote! Especially today because Thomas S. Monson was the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (2008-2018), of which many of you know I am an active member. This saying can't really be ascribed to President Monson because he was quoting a plaque he saw in his uncle and aunt's house. I imagine they found the plaque at Spencer's Gifts.

The reference was made in a beautiful talk he gave in 2011 during a special session of General Conference for all the teenage boys and men of the Church. Some of it made me uncomfortable, but that's what prophets do sometimes. The talk was given in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, which seats over 22,000 people, and is where the Tabernacle Choir often sings. President Monson was 87 years old and addressing some issues that weighed heavily on his mind about the men in the Church needing to live more righteously. If you read or watch this talk, you'll know me a little better.

But the point is, this quote is delightfully out of context. Perhaps not as much as quoting Iago from Othello inappropriately, but still, it was just a pithy plaque.

Happy Mother's Day everyone. Be good to your mom if you are blessed to still have her in your life. A co-worker sent me a text yesterday, wishing my wife a Happy Mother's Day. I replied that we don't celebrate. Then I counted to ten and texted, "I wish I could see your face right now." I was cracking up. She replied, "Don't do that, you know how gullible I am!"

And, finally, here's a picture of my lovely mother quarantined with the bouquet I sent her. She's the greatest mom in the world. Of course.

11 comments:

Downpuppy said...

The Iago quote was from 2008.
A Wanders never forgets.
Happy Mother's Day, yall!

Yahoonski said...

Happy Mother's Day to your wife and mom, Wanders. Now, for the Charterstone juke box, I suggest the addition of "Him or Me - What's It Gonna Be?" by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

fauxprof said...

Happy Mother’s Day, everyone. And, as a present to all of us, an apparent end to this dreary, interminable storyline. Here’s to a pool party tomorrow (since there’s no social distancing in the Worthiverse) and possibly an entirely new character we can learn to despise?

Anonymous said...


So Mopey shows up at the airport with a dozen roses not knowing what Dawn's choice is. So let's say she chose the Fatuous Frenchman. Now Mopey is standing there with egg on his face and a worthless bouquet, which makes Dawn very uncomfortable. So he has to toss the flowers in the garbage and drive back home by himself while Dawn gets a ride elsewhere, and the entire episode is extremely and unnecessarily awkward.

Do either of these dips ever think ahead? Jeez!

-- Scottie

P.S. Moms are the best. Happy Day to all of the Moms in the Wandersverse.

P.P.S. Criminy, how many crosswalks do I have to click on?

meg said...

Didn’t expect to see Newt Gingrich at Santa Royale International Airport.

KitKat said...

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms! That’s a lovely bouquet and a beautiful mother, Wanders.

KM has a knack for grabbing quotations and twisting them into pretzels to try to apply them to her hackneyed plots. Little did she expect that Wanders knows all about today’s.

Good call on Newt, meg. I have a sinking feeling that we’re in for another week of The Romance of Dopey and Mopey. KM’s been lacking in fresh ideas for way too long, and I don’t see that ending. Charterstone pool parties might have gone the way of the dodo. We may never see Professor Chinbeard and his clown-painting, animal-sculpting consort again.

Michael Beaumier said...

Mr. Monson may be famous for his quote — but “Who did you choose?” is pretty much the root question of every religion, ever.

(Spoiler alert: God wants you to choose Him. He always does.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers' Day! Wanders, your mother is indeed very lovely. And good for you; looks like you sprang for a much better bouquet than Jared did. Personal note: my own mother made it to 105.

HelenClark

MissScarlet said...

Thanks for the clarification on the quote attributed to Mr. Monson today, Wanders. I appreciated the back story, as well as the content of the speech. I wonder if we cringed in the same places.

Your mother looks absolutely delightful. I hope she enjoyed being in your blog today.

Happy Mother's Day to all.

katyb said...

I look forward to some future Sunday Platitude o' the Week box telling readers: "I guess it could be worse -- Anybody in the Worthiverse"

Following Helen Clark's lead, my own personal note: My mom will be 90 (Fates willing) at the end of June and has never given a rat's patootie about Mothers' Day. Which I think should be every day. She's not perfect, but she is awesome.

Thanks for sharing, Wanders. You are a wonderful story teller.

Ron Andersen said...

Your Mom did enjoy being the star of your Shoeee. Yes, you are a wonderful story teller, and I cracked up completely when I read the "we don't celebrate," comment. He's the Biggest celebrator there is, folks.