Thursday, July 30, 2020

Mary Worth 3427




Today's strip broke my heart. I thought of the many children who have lost grandparents to coronavirus and other illnesses this year. I thought of my own grandparents, one of whom died so young I have no memory of her. I thought of my mother-in-law who lost her battle to cancer at 55, when my wife was pregnant with our third child. I showed a video tape to my oldest daughter just last week of when she was one year old playing with her grandmother, and my daughter cried.

So forgive me for tearing up at today's strip. Of course, my tears were more saline than dairy, but still.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if nothing else, we now know why Mary reminds Madi of her Gram. Apparently Gram had a thing for cowl neck sweaters too.

HelenClark

Nance said...

Today's Boldface Haiku is titled

"This Will Require A Second Meddle And, Perhaps, Muffins".

Oh,Gram!
Leave?



BTW--Is Toby still sweating over that dessert?

KitKat said...

As heart rending as today’s strip is, I’m gratified that a brief chat with platitude-spouting Mary, a comparison with a dachshund, and a jump into the pool did not make Madi’s grief disappear. Could even KM have become more understanding and realistic? Probably not, but we’ve got to take encouraging crumbs wherever we find them.

Wanders, I appreciate your compassionate words. I read an obit yesterday for a woman in her early 90s; it named her family members but stated “she died alone in the COVID-19 unit of [nursing home].” That broke my heart.

Will Mary’s Meddle Sense alert her, and she’ll break into Saul’s apartment (and wearing a purple nightgown) to rescue Madi?

Anonymous said...


Unless your father is hiding something, I'm sure it wasn't her idea, Madi.

-- Scottie McW.

LouiseF said...

Glad to see an actual photo of "Gram". Maybe next we'll get to know her name or something about her, at least more than we know about Greta the dachshund.

Vince said...

I wish everyone would stop picking on Greta. Yes, humans are of a higher status and have more complex emotions than dogs, and on and on, but dogs suffer too and often at our high-falutin' human hands.