Friday, March 21, 2008

Mary Worth 147

Oh, Good.

You know, I never promised to post every day, and if ever an installment of Mary Worth was worthy of going unnoticed, today's certainly qualifies. However, I just want to take a moment to thank you, dear reader, for sharing your time with me. I am quite stunned that so many people are actually reading this blog. I particularly enjoy the comments of others, even if it is just to say how much you enjoyed or despised the day's cartoon.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, whether you celebrate Easter or not. There are a lot of people suffering today. There's been flooding in Missouri, and tornadoes in Tennessee, and there are people still displaced so long after Katrina. These problems just scratch the surface. While I'm sure that I'll find many things to commend and condemn in Mary Worth's coming plot (please let there be a plot!), this story reminds me that some children won't wake up to Easter eggs and Peeps on Sunday morning, and it won't be for religious reasons. It's easy to be cynical, but maybe, just maybe, we can renew ourselves this spring by reaching out to someone less fortunate. Let's not forget to ask ourselves, "What would Mary do?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toby, Toby...how naive to think that Mary's transformation from underpriveleged child to Titan of Homilies could be so straightforward. We are just getting warmed up. Clearly there must be a number of factors involved.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that by the time Mary has finished explaining to Toby what shaped her philosophy of life we will have had flashbacks involving the Cthulhu Mythos, the Kennedy Assassination and an audition for the lead in 'Deep Throat'.

Mollie said...

Oh, please don't take a break from posting just because the day's strip is contentless! Those are the best ones. This panel made me laugh a lot, because I love how Toby already forgot all about "Cathy," Mary's tragic Only Friend from Childhood. As IF we're not going to hear about what happened to her!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm..."What would Mary do?"
1) Meddle
2) Prattle
3) Bore us!

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE Mary Worth and this blog. MW reminds me of the old soap Search for Tomorrow. MW reminds me of the matriarch on SFT, JoAnne, who was always filled with "sage advance." Keep up the great work!