Monday, May 25, 2020

Mary Worth 3375



Actors Theatre of Greater Metropolitan Santa Royale
Presents

Love is a Song that Never Ends

Act I

SCENE: Mary's condo. Dawn and Mary eat muffins.

Dawn: I saw Hugo in New York and made my choice.

Mary: Who did you choose?

Dawn: I’m with Jared. Choosing him was the right thing to do. Hugo and I agreed to be friends.

Mary: Did your young Frenchman take the news well? No resistance on his part?

Dawn: Hugo has feelings for someone else too… Someone he works with in Paris.

Mary: Long-distance romance is a precarious thing.

Dawn: I was relieved, Mary.

Mary: No feelings were hurt at the news?

Dawn: I admit… for a moment, I was surprised when Hugo told me he’s interested in someone else! But no feelings were hurt! Jut my ego, a little bit!

Mary: I’m glad it worked out and that there was minimal damage!

Dawn: When I got back, Jared met me at the airport and we’ve been seeing each other every day since!

Mary: That’s great, Dawn! I’m glad you’re happy with your decision.

Dawn: I am. Jared’s a good friend. And we just clicked along the way. We get along well and laugh at the same things.

Mary: Friends who become something more make for the best relationships!

Dawn: I respect Jared and the work he does at the hospital. He helps people in varied and difficult situations.

Mary: We think alike, Dawn. I respect people in the medical field too.

Dawn: He’s a bit nerdy, but I find that endearing.

Mary: When loves involved, quirks are viewed as charm.

Dawn: When I saw Jared waiting for me at the airport, I can’t explain it… I really felt like I was home!

Mary: I noticed your easy rapport with each other at the hospital.

Dawn: He’s a gem. I love him.

Mary: I’m happy for you, Dawn. At the next opportunity, introduce us. I’d like to meet him.

Joseph Campbell: Love is friendship set to music.

Dawn: He has strong feelings for me too… So it’s definitely mutual! I chose Jared because he makes me laugh and I feel good when I’m with him. We just clicked from the very beginning and before I knew it, I fell for him. It happened in an organic way. It’s just as well that Hugo’s interested in his French co-worker. Our love was not meant to be long-term. We’re still friends. My friendship with Jared, however, turned into something much more…

[Music Up] Wilbur, Estelle, and Libby singing offstage: “So I’ll be your friend, and I’ll be your lover… We don’t have to be one or the other.”

Black out.

Curtains open on:

Act II


12 comments:

fauxprof said...

As I was reading your playlet, Wanders, I heard it in those accentless robovoices. Siri talking to Alexa. The only thing that can prevent this recap from going on for another week is Mr. Allora braining both of them with a shovel. No jury would ever convict him.

Darth Curt said...

Yes... Robo-voices. Also, could this be the point when Covid whips through Charterstone finally taking Mary to meet her maker? She's telling us to adapt to events we can't control... like a lockdown.

katyb said...

Wonderful playlet! Just one question: Is it comedy or drama? :)

KitKat said...

Broadway is dark, but we have the Actors Theatre of Greater Santa Royale. I just hope Karen Moy didn’t have her heart set on a Tony. Thanks for collecting all that dialogue, Wanders. I hope your stomach didn’t get upset.

@faucprof, you are right on target. I heard robot voices too. If this continues all week, all of us will bring our own gardening implements and assist Mr. Allora.

Michael Beaumier said...

Wanders proves that an excellent director can make even the worst script sing — it’s all about finding the subtext, or desperately making some up if necessary.

KitKat said...

@fauxprof, darn autocorrect attempted to sneak in “fauci.” Robots indeed!

Anonymous said...


Mary's random blather is completely unrelated to the matter at hand. Does Moy even read her own strip?

And the recap slogs into a second soul-crushing week.

-- Scottie McW.

Tim S said...

As Mary says, it a positive outcome. Positively in another sense. Positively toward negative, right? Things went perfectly last week. Meaning we're negative. But that's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative.

Anonymous said...

I fear that Wanders has been kidnapped by Moy. She must have held a gun to his head, insisting that he make all of us read this ridiculous conversation again. Unhand him, Moy... or else!

HelenClark

Anonymous said...


@TimS

You're Presidential timber, my boy!

-- S. McW.

Yahoonski said...

I can't make up my mind which of Dawn's blatherings sounds least likely to be spoken by an actual human person in this scenario:
"He helps people in varied and difficult situations."
or
"It happened in an organic way."

Nance said...

Wanders, this is incredible. Just now getting to it on Tuesday morning. It sounds like the absolute worst pretentious student film done in the artsy fartsy imitative genre.

Or maybe the best parody of a pretentious student film!

(Sadly, Tuesday is more of the same. Ugh.)