Monday, June 5, 2023

Mary Worth 4234

"They call it a screwdriver."

4,656 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   4601 – 4656 of 4656
LouiseF said...

Bet this is making the rounds of the dog gossip line...

hmmm said...

Can't move on until Larry tells his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

meg said...

Whoopee! It’s time for the parrots’ semi-annual cameo! Since Nelly and Larry are YELLING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS, we will soon hear (insert parrots’ unmemorable names here) screeching all the salacious news out into the Charterstone grounds!

MissScarlett said...

While I have certainly cupped my own ear occasionally, I would absolutely deck any one who tried to do it for me.

meg said...

Miss Scarlett: Tomorrow Nelly will bring in her SRJH cheerleader’s megaphone. (She was never a cheerleader, but she did live next door to a family with an unlocked garage.)

Anonymous said...

"LARRY, HAVE YOU HEARD THE LATEST . . . "

"HEARD? NO, I CAN'T HEAR! EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT, YOU TWIT!"

"IT'S THAT MARRIED PROFESSOR AND THAT BUSYBODY . . ."

"WHAT? YOU MARRIED A PROFESSOR?"

"NO, NO, NO. IT'S THAT BUSYBODY MARY WORTH. SHE'S RUNNING AROUND WITH . . . "

"YOU'RE TOO BUSY RUNNING?"

"NO, NO, NO! FOCUS, LARRY! READ MY LIPS. THAT MARRIED PROF . . ."

"YOU'RE LIPS ARE UGLY!"

"AH, NEVER MIND!"

"OKAY, I'LL TELL MARY YOU'RE BUSY RUNNING AROUND! MAYBE SHE'LL MAKE YOU SOME MUFFINS!"

-- Scottie

meg said...

Assuming (well I assume, anyway) that there is an upcoming Parrottapocapalypse, will the birds chant in unison or sequentially when they repeat the gossip?

meg said...

Parrottapocalypse.

Anonymous said...

@meg --

"WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY? 'APPARENT PACK OF LIES'? YOU GOTTA SPEAK UP!"

-- Scottie, Still Fending Off Mrs. Scottie's Pleas That I Finally Get A Hearing Aid, Even Though I Know She's Right. (Because a hearing aid is Sooooo Not Bro Dude Jock Stud.)

KitKat said...

It's too bad that Toby's pink ear buds are preventing her from hearing her gossiping neighbors. There's also a black and white flying insect in her grocery bag!

MissScarlett said...

Ooooh! Great snark yesterday! And I must say, for someone who can't hear, Larry sure gets around.
Meanwhile, I never thought this would get back to Toby. And I'm still finding it hard to believe that she can hear from that far away. But then again, I actually do wear hearing aids.

meg said...

Ian is no kid, but Mary is old enough to be his ancestor.

hmmm said...

Toby's thought balloon: Ian and Mary Worth? Ha ha; that's absurd. No chance I'd ever get that lucky. But if it IS true, maybe I should warn Mary that her bran muffins have a tendency to make Ian a little... um... Nah, let her find that out for herself. Ha ha ha ha ha...

MissScarlett said...

In a million years I never would have guessed that Toby would be the smart one.

hmmm said...

Only one thought today worth pondering. Why would anyone want to name their child: Gore?

MissScarlett said...

@hmmm: well, one of his middle names was 'Gore', after his grandfather's last name. He spent a lot of time with his grandfather, and eventually dropped his first two names and became 'Gore Vidal'.
Meanwhile, Toby continues showing heretofore unseen smarts.

hmmm said...

Thanks, MissScarlet! That sort of makes sense. And now I can stop worrying that his siblings might have been named: Blood and Guts.

Anonymous said...

Six panels that all say the same thing. Nice story-telling, Moy. -- Scottie

meg said...

Why did Larry refer to Mary as MS. Worth? And he says she USUALLY seems like such an upstanding person! C’mon, Larry, spill it! Tell us what you know. I’ll bet she doesn’t always sort her recyclables. Amirite?

hmmm said...

I don't know about youse guys, but apparently, I'm at the age where, every day, I get news feeds warning me about the early signs of dementia. Personally, I've set my "old geezer" alarm to the moment when I find one of KM's stories to be surprising or unpredictable.

MissScarlett said...

@hmmm: I like the way you think! I'm gonna do the same.
What the heck is a "house resort"? Hey Moy, you can't just keep adding words to something and expect the meaning to be clear.

hmmm said...

Toby: Wait a minute. What are the dates of his reservation? Oh no! No! Oh Ian! Not only are you taking Mary to Hawaii, but you'll be gone during our 10th anniversary! How could you be so cruel?

MissScarlett said...

I am now completely reassured that Toby is every bit as dumb as she always has been.
Meanwhile, why all the meetings, laughter and hush-hush. Is Ian so old now that he can't make reservations without Mary's help? Is the surprise party being held in Hawaii? Wow! They sure pay professors well in Santa Royale!

MissScarlett said...

I was wondering if I should rethink Toby's intelligence, but then I realized that she's feeding her parrots while they sit on the floor. They aren't dogs or cats, Toby!

KitKat said...

"That's crazy!" can apply to many things in the Cameron household, including the two humans.

MissScarlett said...

Ick! I don't want to think about what Toby knows or how she knows it.

KitKat said...

Those parrots are creepy - ugh - and Toby looks like she's wasting away.

Anonymous said...

As much as I have come to loathe these annoying parrots -- who can apparently absorb, understand, process, and then orally snark appropriately about whatever is being said by their nitwit caretaker -- they do seem to be at least equal to Max and Greta when it comes to the characters in this strip who have some clue. -- Scottie

meg said...

Will someone please wake me when one bird says, Oh Mary Oh Mary, and the other one says, Oh Ian Oh Ian? I’ll be under the bed waiting for it to stop.

MissScarlett said...

The parrot heard songs by Nat King Cole (Oh Mary, Don't You Weep); Neil Diamond (Oh Mary) and J.J. Cale (Oh Mary).

Anonymous said...

Yes, friends, stay tuned for another tedious month of "As The Stomach Turns." -- Scottie

meg said...

Oh, dear, I suddenly (and once again fear) the denouement of an Ian and Toby story that ends in……….TWINS! Although I still predict Lilian and Li’l Ian for names.

MissScarlett said...

Oh (yawn), another crazy dream sequence...zzzz

hmmm said...

Okay. Toby dreams of the exact conversation that took place between two people she's never even met. And who says that KM can't come up with a believable plot?

MissScarlett said...

I wonder if talking in her sleep will wake Ian.

LouiseF said...

Been out of it for awhile. Thanks, everyone for your hilarious comments. Realy picked me up.

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back and feeling better, LouiseF. Such is the therapeutic benefit of MW&M snarkacillin. -- Scottie

Anonymous said...

Toby's fitful sleep wakes Ian when she shouts "Mary!" out loud. "Hmmm," he wonders, "Is Toby having an affair with Mary?" -- Scottie

MissScarlett said...

We've missed our LouiseF. But we were able to prevent Mary from giving you any muffins!!

meg said...

Scottie: from Ian’s mouth to G-d’s ears! That would be comic page news all over the country!

Anonymous said...

While Saul is busy gossiping and paying no attention to his driving, Max sits in wide-eyed terror as their car is about to smash into the back of a utility truck. -- Scottie

MissScarlett said...

I know Brigman thinks making Toby and Ian blue shows that they are sleeping (or whatever), but it looks to me like they are either very cold, suffering from sleep apnea or are part of the Navi alien race from the Avatar films.

hmmm said...

Look on the bright side, folks. I think KM has at least decided to skip over Larry and Tommy and the ponytail woman. Maybe. I hope. Probably not.

MissScarlett said...

I feel some amazement that Wilbur is falling for this; but then I do have to factor in his stupidity.

Anonymous said...

So, Moy follows up seven days of Toby saying the same thing while awake with six days (so far) of Toby saying the same thing in her sleep. Wow, this is gripping stuff. You could cut the suspense with a feather duster. -- Scottie

MissScarlett said...

So true @Scottie. Maybe we should give Moy the Fifa prize for this year's (decade's?) laziest cartoonist.

KitKat said...

"My muffins are the best? Oh Ian, you saucy boy!"

I bet June had a blast illustrating today's strip. She likely hates Mary's purple cowl neck sweaters as much as we do.

MissScarlett said...

We're heading into dancing Wilbur territory now! Speaking of release - how about we let this one go now?

LouiseF said...

KM may be phoning it in, but I have to say JB's illustrations are fabulous. If we still had Panel of the Year, several today would be contenders.

Anonymous said...

Um . . . Um . . . I got nuttin'. I'm smackgobbed.

This . . . THIS . . . is . . .

I need to lay down for a while. Catch you all later. -- Scottie

hmmm said...

Tomorrow, Toby will find the nightie that Ian has hidden. It's purple, with a cowl neckline. Mary has convinced him that there's nothing more alluring than a woman in a cowl.

meg said...

What size is this cowl-nightie? Is it perhaps IAN’s?

hmmm said...

Good one, meg! If only...

MissScarlett said...

And the beat drones on.

KitKat said...

Toby's art is still in her "Creepy Cutesy-poo" period, though she has incorporated unattractive colors. Is the cat wearing a bib, or is it a wannabee lion?

MissScarlett said...

Toby likes to paint her figures with water so you can't see the mistakes.

«Oldest ‹Older   4601 – 4656 of 4656   Newer› Newest»