Monday, June 9, 2008

Mary Worth 224

I still don't get how we're defining the word "friend" here. What is this outlandish statement based upon? A depressing platitude? "We cannot change what God determines." Some obvious advice? "Your mother wants you to reconcile with your brother." A questionable medical assessment? "Talk to her, Ron. Your brain-dead mother can hear you." Super-natural prophecy: "Your dead mother must have known you reconciled." And a little social banter? "Thanks for inviting me to your mother's funeral, Ron!"

I'm sorry, but "What did I do to deserve you," is a line reserved only for the most intimate relationships, like the Captain and Maria. Just saying you're friends doesn't really make it so. Jeff and Mary, now that's friendship! They sail together, and take long walks, and conspire to send the children off to Vietnam. Mary supports Jeff in his hobbies, like doctor stuff and fund raising, and Jeff - until recently - supports Mary in her meddling projects. If Ron is this desperate for friendship, I have no idea how he maintained the political network necessary to be appointed to the town council. (And it still bugs me that he wasn't elected.)

But one thing is for certain, Mary Worth can use all the friends she can get these days. The Oklahoman has added itself to the long list of newspapers cutting our beloved Charterstone matriarch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It must have been something good."

What kind of egotistical statement is that? "You must have been really good to deserve my platitudinous friendship."

Anonymous said...

wanders: I was wondering about "the appointment to the city's 'town' council" [redundancy squared, but this is MW] as well, but it's possible that someone on the council died (Donna perhaps?), and Ron was appointed to fill in until an election could be scheduled--or this could just be another example of bad writing that we've come to know and love in MW.

How long before we see Dr. Jeff again? [Random sightings not included!] Should we start a count of days until he returns to Mary? Does anyone care? What do you say, wanders?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you mentioned the connection to the Sound of Music. I've had that damn "must have been something good" song running through my head since I read the strip. And, when I'm not concentrating on keeping it out of my head, thoughts of Mary and Ron dancing around in a gazebo. There must be a cure for this...

Ethel Mertz said...

alligator---start drinking heavily NOW.

Anonymous said...

Within the strip itself, still no mention of dead mommy. Which is why these two alley cats are scratchin' each others posts.

Or something, I'm all turned around.

Anonymous said...

ethel mertz - thanks. I did just that. :-) Much better now.