Friday, April 10, 2020

Mary Worth 3335

Mrs. Wanders and I had been dating for about three weeks, and I was very quickly falling deeply in love, when she told me over lunch that her old boyfriend was coming for a visit. They dated in high school, and had continued seeing each other during summers as undergrads. This was her first year in graduate school and my second. This was the first I was hearing about, let's call him, "Donald." I tried to be cool, but inside I was really torn up about this. He was driving through our city, and had called her to visit. I dropped out of the picture for a few days while she spent time with Donald. But inside my head I was going NUTS! My father had always told me to tell people how you feel, so I shared with a friend how I was feeling, and that I intended to tell Mrs. Wanders -- She was Miss Wanders then -- how I was feeling. My friend told me, "That's the worst thing you could do. The most unattractive emotion is jealousy. You have the total advantage here. He's leaving in a few days, you aren't. You have to play this cool." That advice was so much better than what my father would have told me (a point I remind him of to this day).

Miss Wanders had a recital on the last day of Donald's visit. She had invited us both to attend, of course, and so I sat down in the small auditorium. I turned around and saw Donald sitting a few rows behind me. Somehow, he looked so sad and so lonely. I instantly felt sorry for him because he had to leave the love of his life that evening, and might not ever see her again. I said, "Donald, come on up her and sit next to me." He did and we chatted. I got to know him. He began to probe more about my plans for the future. When he learned I hoped for an internship in Miss Wander's hometown that summer, he asked why. The reality was that I'd been planning on that internship before I'd even met Miss Wanders, I'd even planned to go there the summer before, but felt strongly to go to New York instead (to Manhattan Theatre Club, which was an awesome experience). As we talked, I could see he was so sad, and trying to appear brave. For the first time in my life, I realized, I was going to win the affections of a woman despite the efforts of a formidable rival. But it wasn't a gloating victory. Miss Wanders chose me. I still wonder why, sometimes. Not out of insecurity, but because she's so truly amazing. I guess I'm sharing all of this so that you understand I can relate with Jared in this story. The next week or so will be miserable for him. But if he keeps his cool, and supports her in this time of decision, he may come out with a chance at happiness. I know I did.

Of course, in this story, the real winner will be whoever Dawn dumps.

17 comments:

Nance said...

Today's Boldface Haiku is titled

"If You Can Find Clarity There, You Can Find It Everywhere".

New York
Join.
See?
In person.
Exactly?

Nance said...

@Wanders--Your admiration and love for your wife is so touching. As is your kindness. You are one of The Good Guys, for sure.

Anonymous said...


Nice story, Wanders. And those are two excellent secret messages!

Nance, your BFH title is another classic!

Not to beat an iconic MW moment to death, but maybe we'll see Jared holding up a boombox outside the Waldorf Astoria.

-- Scottie McW.

KitKat said...

Wanders, thanks for sharing this with us. Your friend’s advice was excellent, and your insight into and compassion for Donald was surely a graced moment. The generosity and kindness you extended to Donald may have helped him as he moved on in his life.

And now from the sublime to the ridiculous:

“Are you going to SEE him?”

“No, we’re staying in different hotels, so we’re going to FaceTime.”

Something about Jared today reminds me of the late Jerry Van Dyke. Also, does Jared ever wear anything besides a hoodie and t-shirt?

Yahoonski said...

Glad it worked out for you, Wanders. And Donald did all right for himself, too, what with the reality TV show and the presidency and all. Now I would like to say that I think you and all of the commenters here are special and I feel privileged to be able to participate in this Decameron-like experience with such quality and creative companions. Case in point: Nance's brilliant haiku title today!

mojotoad said...

That's a beautiful story, Wanders, thanks for sharing.

LouiseF said...

Nance, I think you've contributed a new line to the state song of New York! And M. Wanders, what a great story, and so well told. I wept at your words. To be honest, I weep daily when Gov. Mike DeWine shows off some hokey Ohio tchotchke he is proudly wearing during his daily briefings about the virus. Dawn, Jared, Hugo and everyone else in the Worthiverse are so lucky to be oblivious to what's going on in our world. Have a fine weekend, everyone!

Downpuppy said...

New York, of all cities in the world now?!
You'd think the Syndicate could have at least moved this doomed meetup to Pittsburgh.

Sandi Ego said...

What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it. Great advice, too, just like something Mary would come up with, eh?

Marjorine Bailey said...

I hope Donald found his own Mrs. Wanders! Now that I think about it, if Dawn dumps Jare he'll probably find his soul mate within months while Dawn will probably continue to vacillate between partners or fixate on unobtainable men. To find one's soul mate one must first have a soul.

Michael Beaumier said...

I usually have my rivals killed — but if winning Mrs. Wanders’ heart without eating the hearts of your enemies (to get their courage, duh) is what worked for you, I can’t argue against success.

Happy Friday everybody. Keep those hands washed.

Nance said...

Thanks, everyone. You're the best. Have a great weekend!

MissScarlet said...

That was a delightful tale. I must admit, I'm wondering how it all turned out for 'Donald'.

fauxprof said...

What a lovely story, Wanders. Thank you for gifting it to us.

KitKat, I think the inspiration for Jared’s hoodie and T-Shirt is uber-Nerd Leonard Hofstadter. Someone should reassure him that Dawn is no Penny. Or Bernadette. Or Amy.

Anonymous said...

That was a very heartwarming story, Wanders. I did sort of the same thing... Sort of... I was engaged to a real jerk, and he'd booked us a wedding and honeymoon in Ireland so I thought I'd go through with it; sort of. Although a couple of months before, I'd met the man of my dreams. I told neither one about the other... but Ireland is amazing!

HelenClark

KitKat said...

SATURDAY
Jared, I’ve been wondering the same thing. Maybe Dawn needs to spend more of Daddy’s money before he spends it on scotch.

Since the Worthiverse is blissfully free of the coronavirus, there are no closed salons to explain Dawn’s horrible haircut. It looks like she borrowed Mr. Alora’s Weed Whacker.

Carlye said...

I just realized that there is a Honda model called Clarity. Maybe Dawn should get one?