Saturday, January 2, 2021

Mary Worth 3536

Here in New Jersey, when you stroll down the boardwalk, there's always lots of fun places to buy candy and ice cream and food. Even in January you can find fun stops along the way. Just last week, we took the whole family to the Asbury Park Boardwalk to visit the Silverball Pinball Museum. Here are some photos.

But when the weathers nice, there are lots of people enjoying these beachside walks and amusements:

You can see why I am amused at the thought of a hotdog cart on that narrow catwalk they keep calling a boardwalk in Santa Royale. So I looked up California Boardwalks. Of course, I was already familiar with Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Amusement Park because I grew up nearby:

But then I found this:

This 0.75-mile, fully-accessible walkway is in Carpenteria, Santa Barbara County - very near Santa Royale. It was built in two phases over several years, thus creating a north end and a south end I suppose. It looks very similar except for the side curbs that keep your push walker from rolling off the edge. So, June's depection of a west coast boardwalk isn't without precedent. However, this is located in a state park, and I don't know if they would permit hotdog carts. I'll see what I can dig up.

You're welcome.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...


So what exactly are Max and Greta supposed to do with the bottles of water? Chew them up? Is Saul going to pour the water on the ground so they can lap up as much as they can before the water disperses? Is Saul going to pour the water into his shoe so they can drink from that? Does the hotdog cart have doggie bowls? I'm not understanding the concept here.

-- Scottie McW.

KitKat said...

Scottie McW., Eve’s neckerchief doubles as a folding water dish for Max. I doubt that Saul’s bow tie does the same for Greta, but I can see him holding a water bottle to her mouth. At least he’s not going to share one with her, I presume.

Hot dogs and water! Saul and Eve aren’t starting the new year with nutritious choices for themselves or their dogs.

Thanks for the photos, Wanders! You get an A+ for boardwalk research!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy; I hope someone knows how to perform the Heimlich maneuver!

I haven't eaten meat for many years but even if this hotdog cart guy sold veggie hotdogs, I still would hesitate. Every time I see one of those carts out in the middle of nowhere, I have to wonder... what happens when the proprietor has to "answer the call of nature?" Ewww

HelenClark

meg said...

Hey, Mr. Wanders-

You can leave the digging up to me and my buddy Max. Why, just last week we dug up a stash of old vodka bottles and the remains of a canned haggis (yes, that was just as disgusting as it sounds, and we enjoyed every bite) outside the Cameron condo. Unfortunately the angry and perro-hating Mr. Allora chased us off (using language that insulted us and our mothers) before we could finish.

Greta and Max

MissScarlet said...

I agree with all about the silly slab of a boardwalk portrayed here. But as a UCSB graduate I feel compelled to show the real Santa Barbara boardwalk.

https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+barbara+boardwalk&sxsrf=ALeKk017p0LQGyScLI_3fOX8-JZSDVqhpg:1609621427483&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9p6GLk_7tAhUkNX0KHX5dCEYQ_AUoAnoECAMQBA&biw=1440&bih=821&dpr=2

I appreciate your research, Wanders. Yes, here in CA we have all sorts of handicapped regulations in our state parks. And I agree, it does look pretty silly. But Carpenteria is a small town (actually, near Ventura) and maybe they don't get very many visitors. We know from the Santa Royale skyline, however, that they are a Big City! Can't explain the hot dog vendor though. That's a head scratcher!

Jana C.H. said...

As someone who grew up next door to a national park and can no longer venture onto the trails of my youth due to my walker, I'm glad there are a few parks with wheel-friendly boardwalks so I can occasionally get off pavement and experience nature again. And I see nothing silly or aesthetically repellent about the curbs. They're perfectly nice-looking wooden curbs, and allow one to stroll along looking at the scenery without keeping a constant eye on the exact location of one's wheels.

Sandi Ego said...

MissScarlet, my hubby is a Gaucho, too!
My son is a freshman at UC Santa Cruz, at least from his bedroom this year. Hoping he will get to stroll a boardwalk with his friends and buy all the hot dogs he wants next Fall.

Wanders said...

Wait, I don’t think the Carpenteria boardwalk looks silly. Sorry if I gave that impression. I love accessible trails and think we need many more. I just hadn’t realized that was what June was portraying when Karen kept calling it a boardwalk.