Sunday, February 5, 2023

Mary Worth 4170

Maybe I'll add "Layla" to the playlist. Here's why. I went on a deep dive, wondering if Anita Koolidge could be a play on Rita Coolidge who helped write an unreleased song with Jim Gordon called "Time." You can listen to what sounds like a demo version of it on YouTube here. At the beginning, you can hear the familiar refrain from "Layla" by Derek and the Dominioes. When Layla was released, she was shocked that she didn't get a writing credit. You can read an excert from her memoir about it here, but be warned, there is probably some click-bait on the site. Better yet, I'll just add something by Rita Coolidge.

7 comments:

Ian Cameron, PhD said...

Very kool, Ed. Though I much prefer Juanita Kewlhedge, myself.

There has been entirely too much “lingering” during this date. The other patrons need to use the piano and Estelle needs to get home to change Libby’s litter box.

KitKat said...

That was a deep dive for sure, Wanders. Your research skills are always top notch, but I can’t see KM doing all that investigating. Maybe she stumbled on this anecdote; a piece called “Time” written by “Anita Koolidge” is too much of a coincidence. BTW, Mr. KitKat and I have a two-year-old granddaughter named Layla who loves to play her toy keyboard. “Time” is not yet in her repertoire.

Ed’s remark comparing piano playing with riding a bicycle is an insult to musicians who diligently practice their artistry. Hmpf!

Ed has werewolf hands. Better watch out, Estelle!

Anonymous said...


Yeah, we get it. Lingering at the piano is good. Now let's get on with it and get to the chaste goodnight kiss and Estelle's subsequent dream of wedded bliss.

-- Scottie McW.

Yahoonski said...

Last panel: Who needs ipecac when we have MW?

ratswan said...

Did these two drink enough they might have to go to white castle on way home .

Frank Booth said...

You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much love drives a man insane
You broke my will, but what a thrill
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

KitKat said...

@Frank Booth, thanks for making me laugh out loud!